Using Proctortrack in Open_edX
Subject to change every semester, please do not publish outside course.
For students use only.
Table of Contents
What is Proctortrack? How does it work?
Taking an Exam with Proctortrack
What do I need to take an exam using Proctortrack?
What is Proctortrack?
Proctortrack is the automatic remote proctoring solution your institution has selected for use during online exams. More information about Proctortrack’s privacy policies and technologies used can be found on our website.
How does it work?
The following guide will assist you, the student, in going through the process of taking a proctored exam with Proctortrack. Remember if you ever had any additional questions, you can call 1-844-753-2020 or go to www.proctortrack.com for additional information and live chat.
Often students are unsure if their specific hardware setup will allow them to use Proctortrack. While a detailed list of supported operating systems and browsers is available on Proctortrack.com, students often prefer to just test their own system themselves. Keep in mind that Chrome and Firefox are the recommended browser. While Proctortrack will work in other browsers, the user experience is far superior in Chrome.
The onboarding process gives students the opportunity to make sure everything is working correctly during low-pressure circumstances. It also gives students time to make any changes to their system well before the first exam.
Students can fail onboarding for the following reasons:
Facial scan missing or insufficient
ID scan missing or insufficient
ID scan shows invalid ID
Environment lighting insufficient
If a student fails the onboarding exam, they will receive a notification listing the specific reasons for failure and be asked to retake the onboarding exam.
For students onboarding appears exactly the same as a normal exam, to help familiarize them to the testing environment. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Verificient support:
Proctortrack support: email@example.com, 1-844-753-2020
What do I need to take an exam using Proctortrack?
Here are Proctortrack's system requirements:
1: Operating System-> Windows 7 or higher, MAC OSX 10.10.5 or higher with a minimum of 2GB free space.
2: Processor/RAM -> Dual-core 2.4 GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM or better (Windows), Intel Processor, 2 GB RAM or better(MAC)
5: Web-Cam Resolution -> 800x600 or better (and a working Microphone)
6: Internet Connection -> Cable Modem, DSL or better (300 kbps download, 250 kbps upload)
Note: Proctortrack does not support Linux, Virtual Machines, Chromebooks, iPads, Tablets, Android Mobile phones or mobile devices and computers with firewall restrictions on them.
Taking an Exam with Proctortrack:
1. Login to edX as a student by entering a Username and the corresponding Password before clicking “Sign in.”
2. Once you login, select the desired course.
3. Click on the desired exam from the list. Here we will attempt the onboarding exam.
4. Now go through the instructions and click on the “Continue to onboarding”
5. Click on the “Start System Check”.
6. Go through the general guideline for the proctored exam and then click on the (x) to close the tab.
7. This is the Download page. Proctortrack will attempt to automatically start the download. If it doesn’t, click “here” to download Proctortrack manually.
If the App was downloaded during any previous exams/tests, the download page will detect the downloaded app and bring forward a pop-up window to click on “Open Proctortrack” to launch the application.
8. Open the Proctortrack.zip (MAC) or Proctortrack.exe (Windows) file from the download bar at the bottom.
9. Finally, launch the Proctortrack app from your downloads folder to continue.
1. After Launching the Proctortrack app, you will be redirected to the “Agreement to Policies”. Please read the agreement policies, check the box below and then click on “I AGREE”.
2. A 7-point System Check will automatically run to verify that the system is ready.
Once the System Check is successfully conducted, click “CONTINUE” to start your onboarding. Follow the prompts till you reach the Face and ID scan.
Make sure to fill the frame before clicking “START SCAN”. After that, follow the on-screen prompts.
3. If you’re not satisfied with the scans, click on “RETAKE” to take the scan again. Or else, click on “NEXT” to proceed.
4 a. For the ID scan, please go through the instructions for a valid photo ID scan and click on “START
4 b. Make sure to fit the ID within the frame in the correct alignment and hold it steady so that it’s clear. Click “START SCAN” to proceed.
5. Make sure to fit the ID (Driver’s License or Student ID), within the frame and hold it steady so that it’s clear. Click “RETAKE” if you are not satisfied with the scan. You can rescan the ID as many times as needed or click “NEXT” to proceed.
6 a. You will now be required to conduct a room scan using either the Proctortrack mobile app by scanning the QR code on your screen with the app or with your laptop by clicking on “CONTINUE WITHOUT MOBILE”
6 b. Rotate the external webcam or the laptop to the Right, Left and also show the desk or table you have placed the laptop. Or, use your mobile phone app to conduct a proper scan of your testing area.
6 c. Make sure you follow the following steps while conducting the room scan. If you’re not happy with your scan, click “RETAKE” to take a new scan or else, click “CONFIRM & UPLOAD” to continue.
7. The Test Guidelines window shows the Proctoring or monitoring configurations and instructions on what is allowed during the exam. Read them carefully and click “START PROCTORING” to begin your proctoring session.
8. A blue frame on your screen indicates that you are being monitored and recorded. You have options to take a break (if allowed) on the top or hide the webcam video feed if it bothers you.
9. You also have an option for a live chat with our support staff. Once you have finished and submitted your exam, click on “END” to end the proctoring session.
10. This is the End Proctoring window where you can click on “END” to start data upload.
11. The session data will be automatically uploaded to Proctortrack within a few seconds.
12. The test session is complete! Both the buttons visible here will close Proctortrack. Proctortrack will have to be run before each proctoring-enabled test. Click “QUIT APP” to save the application for use with later tests, or click “Uninstall” to remove Proctortrack from the current machine. Keep in mind that an opportunity to download Proctortrack will be given before each proctoring-enabled test.