Using Proctortrack in Canvas
Subject to change every semester, please do not publish outside of Canvas.
Table of Contents
What is Proctortrack?
How does it work? Why Onboarding?
What do I need to take exams using Proctortrack? How do I take exams with Proctortrack?
What is Proctortrack?
Proctortrack is the automatic remote proctoring solution your institution has selected for use during online exams. More information about Proctortrack’s privacy policies and technologies used can be found on our website.
How does it work?
The following guide will assist you, the student, in going through the process of taking a proctored exam with Proctortrack. If you ever have any additional questions, you can call 1-844-753-2020 or go to https://www.proctortrack.com/support where you will find various other options to reach out to Support.
Attempting the Onboarding creates the profile of the students in the Proctortrack System. Often students are unsure whether their specific hardware setup will allow them to use Proctortrack. While a detailed list of supported operating systems and browsers is available on Proctortrack.com, students often prefer to test their systems themselves. Keep in mind that Chrome and Firefox are the recommended browsers. While Proctortrack will work in other browsers, the user experience is far superior in Chrome. The onboarding process gives students the opportunity to make sure everything is working correctly during low-pressure circumstances. It also gives students time to make any changes to their system well before the first exam.
Students can fail onboarding for the following reasons:
If a student fails the onboarding exam, they will receive a notification listing the specific reasons for failure and they will be asked to retake the onboarding exam. They can also check their Onboarding status on the Proctortrack Dashboard.
For students, onboarding appears exactly the same as a normal exam to help familiarize them to the testing environment.
It is necessary to pass the Onboarding and have an approved Onboarding profile in order to attempt the actual exams. Steps to take the Onboarding are further explained below in the Guide.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Verificient support:
What do I need to take an exam using Proctortrack?
Here are Proctortrack's system requirements:
1: Operating System-> Windows 7 or higher, MAC OSX 10.10.5 or higher with a minimum of 4GB free space.
2: Processor/RAM -> Dual-core 2.4 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM or better (Windows), Intel Processor, 4 GB RAM or better(MAC).
3: Browser-> Chrome 25.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox 20.0 or higher, Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher, Safari (Chrome preferred).
5: Web-Cam Resolution -> 800x600 or better (and a working Microphone).
6: Internet Connection -> Cable Modem, DSL or better (300 kbps download, 250 kbps upload).
Note: Proctortrack does not support Linux, Virtual Machines, Chromebooks, iPads, Tablets, Android Mobile phones or mobile devices, and computers with firewall restrictions on it.
This manual will provide steps on how to attempt a proctored exam using Proctortrack. The Steps to attempt any Proctortrack Enabled exam are the same. In this demo, you will see steps on how to attempt the Onboarding Quiz. The steps for any exam/tests shall remain the same as they are for the Onboarding Quiz.
How do I Take an Exam using Proctortrack?
1. Log in to your Canvas account by entering the registered “email address” and “password” and click on “Log In”.
2. Select the desired course by clicking on the corresponding colored tile.
3. Now, click on the Proctortrack Link on the left menu bar to go to the Proctortrack Dashboard .
4. This is the Proctortrack Student Dashboard. On the top, you have the Onboarding status. The Actual tests cannot be attempted unless the Onboarding profile is approved. An onboarding profile can be created by attempting the Onboarding test. The Onboarding test is a sample test.
Every Test-taker needs to have an approved Onboarding Profile, before attempting any actual Tests.
5. On the Proctortrack Dashboard, you have the list of tests below. Click on the “Go to Test” button for the test you would like to attempt. Here we will first attempt the Onboarding test.
The Process for attempting the actual tests is the same as the Onboarding test.
6. Read the “How it works” tab on the top to further understand the steps required. Click the “Next” button to scroll through the steps.
7. Scroll down to go through the “Let’s Get Started section, to understand the guidelines for a proper testing environment.
8. Scroll down further to find the “General Guidelines” section. These are generic exam guidelines for the test-takers understanding.
9. After getting familiar with all the guidelines, check the box (at the bottom) labeled “I have read, understand and will adhere to the required environment guidelines” and click on the “Go To Next Step” button.
10. This is the Download page. Proctortrack will attempt to automatically start the download. If it doesn’t, click “here” to download Proctortrack manually.
If the App was downloaded during any previous exams/tests, the download page will detect the downloaded app and bring forward a pop-up window to click on “Open Proctortrack” to launch the application
11. Open the Proctortrack.zip/Proctortrack.exe file that downloads
12. Finally, launch Proctortrack from your downloads folder to continue.
1. After Launching the Proctortrack app, you will be redirected to the “Agreement to Policies”. Please read the agreement policies, check the box below and then click on “I AGREE”.
2. A 7-point System Check will automatically run to verify that the system is ready.
3. Once the System Check is successfully conducted, click “CONTINUE” to start your onboarding. Follow the prompts till you reach the Face and ID scan.
5. If you’re not satisfied with the scans, click on “RETAKE” to take the scan again. Or else, click on “NEXT” to proceed
6 a. For the ID scan, please go through the instructions for a valid photo ID scan and click on “START
6 b. Make sure to fit the ID within the frame in the correct alignment and hold it steady so that it’s clear. Click “START SCAN” to proceed.
7. Make sure to fit the ID (Driver’s License or Student ID), within the frame and hold it steady so that it’s clear. Click “RETAKE” if you are not satisfied with the scan. You can rescan the ID as many times as needed or click “NEXT” to proceed.
8. a. You will now be required to conduct a room scan using either the Proctortrack mobile app by scanning the QR code on your screen with the app or with your laptop by clicking on “CONTINUE WITHOUT MOBILE”
8. b. Rotate the external webcam or the laptop to the Right, Left and also show the desk or table you have placed the laptop. Or, use your mobile phone app to conduct a proper scan of your testing area.
8. c. Make sure you follow the following steps while conducting the room scan. If you’re not happy with your scan, click “RETAKE” to take a new scan, or else, click “CONFIRM & UPLOAD” to continue.
9.The Test Guidelines window shows the Proctoring or monitoring configurations and instructions on what is allowed during the exam. Read them carefully and click “START PROCTORING” to begin your proctoring session.
10. A blue frame on your screen indicates that you are being monitored and recorded. You have options to take a break (if allowed) on the top or hide the webcam video feed if it bothers you.
11. You also have an option for a live chat with our support staff. Once you have finished and submitted your exam, click on “END” to end the proctoring session
12. This is the End Proctoring window where you can click on “END” to start data upload or click on “END AND UPLOAD NOTES” to manually scan and upload handwritten notes.
The session data will be automatically uploaded to Proctortrack within a few seconds.
The test session is complete! Both the buttons visible here will close Proctortrack. Proctortrack will have to be run before each proctoring-enabled test. Click “QUIT APP” to save the application for use with later tests, or click “Uninstall” to remove Proctortrack from the current machine. Keep in mind that an opportunity to download Proctortrack will be given before each proctoring-enabled test.