Using Proctortrack on Canvas
Subject to change every semester, please do not publish outside of LMS.
Table of Contents
What is Proctortrack?
How does it work?
Taking an Exam with Proctortrack
What is Proctortrack?
Proctortrack is the automatic remote proctoring solution your institution has selected for use during online exams. More information about Proctortrack’s privacy policies and technologies used can be found on our website.
How does it work?
The following guide will assist you, the student, in going through the process of taking a proctored exam with Proctortrack. Remember if you ever had any additional questions, you can call 1 (844) 753-2020 or go to www.proctortrack.com/support for additional information and live chat.
Often students are unsure if their specific hardware setup will allow them to use Proctortrack. While a detailed list of supported operating systems and browsers is available on Proctortrack.com, students often prefer to just test their own system themselves. Keep in mind that Chrome and Firefox are the recommended browser. While Proctortrack will work in other browsers, the user experience is far superior in Chrome.
The onboarding process gives students the opportunity to make sure everything is working correctly during low-pressure circumstances. It also gives students time to make any changes to their system well before the first exam.
Students can fail onboarding for the following reasons:
Facial scan missing or insufficient
ID scan missing or insufficient
ID scan shows invalid ID
Knuckle scan missing or insufficient
Environment lighting insufficient
If a student fails the onboarding exam, they will receive a notification listing the specific reasons for failure and be asked to re-take the onboarding exam.
For students onboarding appears exactly the same as a normal exam, to help familiarize them with the testing environment.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Verificient support:
Proctortrack support: firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-844-753-2020
What do I need to take an exam using Proctortrack?
How do I Take an Exam using Proctortrack?
1. Log in to your Canvas account entering your student credentials and click on “Log In”.
2. Select the desired course by clicking on the corresponding colored tile.
3. Now, click on the Proctortrack Link on the left menu bar to go to the Proctortrack Dashboard.
4. This is the Proctortrack Student Dashboard. On the top, you have the Onboarding status. The Actual tests cannot be attempted unless the Onboarding profile is approved. Onboarding profile can be created by attempting the Onboarding test. The Onboarding test is a sample test.
Every Test-taker needs to have an approved Onboarding Profile, before attempting any actual Tests.
For the purpose of this guide, we shall assume that the student has completed the Onboarding test and has an approved Onboarding profile.
5. On the Proctortrack Dashboard, you have the list of tests below. Click on the “Go to Test” button for the test you would like to attempt.
This test is configured with the lockdown browser extension. We shall now go through the steps for installing the browser extension and on how to attempt the test.
6.a. The students will be redirected to a page to download the Proctortrack browser extension.
Click on the ‘Download Plugin’ button to proceed. The plugin download steps will only be prompted the first time on any
6.b. Click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ button, and then on ‘Add extension’ button to add the plugin to the Chrome browser.
6.c. On successful installation of the Proctortrack Browser extension, an ‘icon’ will be visible on the top bar of the browser.
7. Proctortrack will prompt the student to change the settings to allow the extension to run in incognito mode. The ‘Continue’ button will get highlighted once the setting changes are done as per the suggested steps.
8. Click on the ‘Continue’ button once the settings are done as per the suggested steps.
9.a. This is the best practices page, scroll down through the ‘Let’s Get Started’ section, to understand the guidelines for a proper testing environment.
9.b. Scroll down further to find the ‘General Guidelines’ section. These are generic exam guidelines for the test-taker’s understanding. After getting familiar with all the guidelines, check the box (at the bottom) labeled ‘I have read, understand and will adhere to the required environment guidelines.’ Click ‘Go To Next Step.’
Note: These configurations may vary depending on how the instructors have set up the Proctored test.
10. This is the Download page. Proctortrack will attempt to automatically start the download.
or, If the App was downloaded during any previous tests/assessments, the download page will detect the downloaded app and bring forward a pop-up window to click on “Open Proctortrack” to launch the application. or, click “here” to download the Proctortrack app manually.
11. Click on the ‘Download Proctortrack’ button and the Proctortrack app will start downloading.
12. Open the Proctortrack.zip/Proctortrack.exe file that downloads.
1. Once Proctortrack has launched, check the box labeled “I confirm my consent, agreement, and acknowledgement as described below” and click on “Start System Check” .
2. The system check will run to verify that the system is ready.
3. Face Scan: make sure to fill the frame before clicking “Scan”. After that, follow the on-screen prompts.
4. If dissatisfied with the scans, click “No” to take the scan again. Otherwise, click “Yes” to proceed.
5 a. For the ID scan, please go through the instructions for a valid photo ID scan and click “Next.”
5b. For the ID scan, hold a valid photo ID up to the camera and click “Scan”.
6. Make sure to fit the ID (Driver’s License or Student ID), within the frame and hold it steady so that it’s clear. Click “No” if not satisfied with the scan. You can rescan the id as many times as needed or click “Yes” to proceed.
7. Review the Exam Guidelines and click on “ I agree, Let’s Begin” .
8. Proctoring has now begun. A blue border will be placed around the screen as a reminder that Proctortrack is now in session. The students will be auto-forwarded to the Canvas quiz page. You have the video window in the right corner. You may click on the Hide button to hide the window.
The browser will go in lockdown state (Full screen mode) and close all the other tabs.
9. In the lockdown state (Full screen mode), the Proctortrack Browser Extension will auto paste the ‘Access code / Quiz password’ and the students can begin the quiz/test. Students are restricted from the following: (Note: Depends on the config set by the Instructor.)
a. Opening new tabs
b. Using copy-paste or keyboard shortcuts
c. Using mouse right click.
d. Printing or using Print screen.
10. Attempt the test as you normally would, while adhering to the aforementioned guidelines. After the test is complete, it’s very important to remember to submit the test by clicking “Submit Quiz” button.
11. Once the test is submitted, The Lockdown mode will automatically switch off and the browser will now return to normal window size. Click on the ‘End’ button to submit the Proctored attempt and close the Proctortrack App.
12. The Proctortrack app will bring up the End Proctoring window.
Check the box next to “Yes, I have completed and submitted my test.” Then, click “END”.
13. The session data will be automatically uploaded to Proctortrack’s servers.
14. One the uploading is complete, either button seen here will close Proctortrack. Proctortrack will have to be run before each proctoring-enabled test. Keep in mind that an opportunity to download Proctortrack will be given before each proctoring-enabled test.
Click “QUIT APP” to keep Proctortrack on your computer for use with later tests or click “UNINSTALL” to remove Proctortrack from your computer.
Once you have completed the Onboarding quiz, you may check the status on the Proctortrack Dashboard.
1. Once the Onboarding is submitted, and is under processing it shows on the Proctortrack Dashboard as below.
2. Once the Onboarding is passed, the status on the Proctortrack Dashboard indicates the same. The Student will be able to take the Actual tests (the tests become active) once their Onboarding is passed.
3. The Students can view their Onboarding scans data under the “Onboarding” tab. They can click the “arrow” to scroll through the Face, ID and Knuckle scan. The Onboarding tab clearly shows the date of the Onboarding as well as the Expiration date (each profile is valid for 1 year). The Students also have the option to take the Onboarding by clicking on the “Retake Onboarding Test” link.